The Mediterranean diet is widely considered the cleanest, healthiest and most balanced in the world. Rather than relying on faddy trends and unsustainable eating habits, the Mediterranean approach relies on the quality of natural products, seasonality and the freshness of ingredients. It promotes health from the inside out.
Almonds are wonderfully natural Mediterranean ingredient. They contain lots of protein, fibre, vitamins and minerals, as well as being rich in essential fatty acids.Given their healthful benefits, we've created a Mediterranean three-course meal with almonds.
Starter: Almond, Lemon and Sun-Dried Tomato Quinoa Salad
1/2 cup flaked almonds
2 tbsp olive oil
extra-large yellow onion, peeled and diced
1 cup quinoa
1 1/4 cups water
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp lemon juice (zest the lemon before juicing it)
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 tsp lemon zest, or to taste
1. To a large skillet or saucepan, add the olive oil, onions, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until onions have softened and just begun to barely brown, about 7 minutes.
2. Add the quinoa and stir it into the onions and let it toast for about 30 seconds.
3. Add the water, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice (zest the lemon before juicing it), salt, pepper, reduce the heat to low, cover pan, and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until all liquid has been absorbed. While it’s cooking, chop the remaining ingredients.
4. Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl and add the sun-dried tomatoes, parsley, almonds, lemon zest, and stir to combine.
Dish can be served warm and immediately or stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Main : Almond Pesto - Pesto alla Trapanese
8 cherry tomatoes
50g seasoned pecorino
1 garlic clove
handful of basil
salt & pepper
1. Peel the almonds. Boil a pot of water, drop the almonds for 2/3 minutes and drain them.
2. Once cooled, peel them by pressing lightly with your fingers.
3. Prepare the tomatoes. Cut the bottoms and dip them in boiling water for a minute. Peel and press them to remove any water and seeds.
4. Put the tomatoes, basil, almonds, garlic and grated pecorino cheese in a blender - adding the oil, salt and pepper as you go along.
Ready for your pasta!!
200g whole almonds
1 cup icing sugar
2 - 3 tbsp sugar
2 cups almond milk (or regular milk), unsweetened
300g finely crushed almonds
200-300g almond flakes
300g icing sugar
2 whisked egg whites
1/2 lemon zest