Avocados offer nearly 20 vitamins and minerals in every serving, including potassium, lutein and folate. Given its healthful benefits, we've created a Mediterranean three-course meal with avocados.
Starter: Bruschetta Stuffed Avocado
2 large ripe Roma tomatoes
2 tbsp red onion finely chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
2 ripe avocados
fresh basil leaves to serve
2 tbsp balsamic glaze
2 tbsp fresh basil chopped
1/4 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
1. Combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl. Toss well to evenly combine all of the flavors.
2. Arrange the avocado halves onto a plate with fresh basil leaves. Spoon the Bruschetta filling into each avocado halve and drizzle with balsamic glaze. Top with chopped fresh basil and parmesan cheese.
Main: Creamy Avocado Pasta
2 medium ripe avocados
1 lemon juiced & zested
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
salt & black pepper
1. Put a large pot of salted water on to boil. Peel one of the avocados, and place this in a blender or food processor along with the garlic, oil, all but 2 teaspoons of lemon juice, half of the lemon zest, salt and pepper. Pulse until the sauce is very smooth and creamy.
2. Peel and dice the remaining avocado and toss with the reserved 2 teaspoons of lemon juice to prevent browning.
3. Cook the pasta in the water until it is “al dente”. Drain the pasta, reserving a small cup of the pasta water. Return the pasta to the pot and toss with the parsley leaves and avocado sauce.
5. Toss the remaining diced avocado into the pasta, and serve topped with the reserved lemon zest, black pepper, and a sprinkling of Pecorino Romano cheese.
Dessert: Chocolate Chia Mousse by Madeleine Shaw
For 6 people
2 fresh dates
2 ripe avocados
1 tsp vanilla powder or extract
50g of raw cacao powder
4 tbsp of chia seeds
1. Place all the ingredients into a food processor and blend. Depending on how ripe your avocados are you may need a little more moisture. If the mousse isn’t running add a little water, coconut water or nut milk.
2. Spoon into small containers or cocktail glasses and place in the fridge for 2-3 hours to set or the freezer for 20 minutes if you are in a rush.