#MediterraneanMonday - Pistachio Recipes
Pistachios are one of the most important ingredients in the Sicilian kitchen. They're a great source of healthy fats, fiber, protein, antioxidants and various nutrients, including vitamin B6 and potassium. Given their nutritious benefits, we've created a Mediterranean three-course meal with pistachios.
Starter: Italian Lupini Bean Salad with Crushed Pistachios
½ cup baby spinach
1 cup Lupini beans
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 ½ tbsp pistachios
1. Place the spinach at the bottom of a small bowl and set aside.
2. In another small bowl, mix together the beans, mustard, olive oil, red pepper, and black pepper.
3. Finish by sprinkling the crushed pistachios on top.
Main: Sicilian Pistachio Pesto
1/2 garlic clove
1 handful basil leaves
1 handful mint leaves
10g grated Parmesan
60ml olive oil
sea salt flakes
freshly ground black pepper
1. Add the pistachios, garlic and herbs to a food processor.
Dessert: Pistachio Amaretti
1 large egg
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp Amaretto or vanilla extract
1 cup almond flour
3/4 cup ground pistachios
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp icing sugar
2 tbsp chopped pistachios, for coating
1. Preheat oven to 165C and prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, beat the egg and sugar. Stir in the Amaretto or vanilla extract.
3. Add the almond flour, ground pistachios and baking powder and stir until combined and a firm dough is formed.
4. Shape the dough into balls, roughly the size of a tablespoon. Lightly sprinkle in the icing sugar, shaking off any excess.
5. Press down lightly on the chopped pistachios and place the balls with the pistachios facing up on the prepared baking sheets. Repeat the same steps again for each Amaretti ball.
6. Bake for 16 minutes until they're golden.
7. Transfer to rack to cool. Store in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
In the same way that eating pistachios promotes good health from the inside out, we also promote good skin from the outside in by applying Pistachio Oil topically. The following products contain Pistachio Oil: